Do you enjoy the night sky crowded by shiny stars? Do you love to make falling star wishes during the august perseid showers? Then you have to visit one of Slovakia observatories.
We went for a short trip to observatory in Banská Bystrica. You can walk there from train station (Malá stanica) guided by the blue marks or take a shortcut by tourist pathway Urpín serpentines. We took the half an hour long trip through the forrest from the Žltý piesok street (way is marked by yellow stars on the trees ) and if the weather is fine it is easy to take even with small children.
What the observatory Vartovka in Banská Bystrica offers?
- Short narration about the history (e.g. from 16th century there was a old watchtower against Turkish attacks)
- Explanation of basic astrological phenomenons such as eclipse of the sun, moon, asteroids or the comets
- You can see awesome pictures of planets, galaxies and other universe objects
- You will learn about stars and useful tips how to observe them
- Show how the telescopes work
- Nice view of the surrounding mountains (if you are more lucky with the weather)
Observatory offers guided tours (1€/person) mostly in April to June and later after summer school holidays in September to October during fridays 17.00 - 22.00 and saturdays 10.00 - 17.00, in case of group visit (at least 10 people) individual deals available.
This post is also available in: Slovak